Yesterday, football legend Don Meredith died of a brain hemorrhage. He was 72.
I don't have any memories of 'Dandy Don's" playing days. My memories are of him on Monday Night Football. The combination of him, Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford made football an institution on Monday night. I can't point to any specific memory but I can tell you he was probably the most entertaining announcer to ever cover a football game.
If you don't know who Don Meredith was, then spend a few moments acquainting yourself with him.
Rest in Peace Dandy Don!
1. Don Meredith dies at 72; Dallas Cowboys quarterback joined Monday Night Football team. [The Washington Post]
2. For Don Meredith, the party never ended. [Los Angeles Times]
3. Football was fun for homegrown Texan on the field and off. [The Houston Chronicle]
4. Dandy Don Meredith all 'southern charm, folksy humor and good-ol-boy charisma'. [The Dallas Morning News]
5. Don Meredith: 1938-2010 (Photo Gallery). [The Houston Chronicle]