Friday, December 03, 2010

FOCUS ON...RON SANTO

I had intended to post this Focus On tribute to Ron Santo earlier today but the jobless report came in and because of its seriousness it took precedent.

As a youngster I played third base, and along with Graig Nettles of the Yankees, I idolized Ron Santo. Actually, I'm not positive why but I believe it was because of a play I once saw him make. Through the years I learned that there were many other fine reasons to emulate him.

Santo passed away last night due to complications from bladder cancer. He was 70. Rest in peace, Ron. Thank you for the childhood memories and for the inspiration you provided as I matured.

1. Eternally positive, Santo was 'an inspiration to everybody'. [Chicago Tribune]
2. Ron Santo, hard-luck Cubs third baseman and broadcaster, dies at 70. [The Washington Post]
3. Ron Santo was all Cubs, all the time (Text & Video). [ESPN]



4. 'This Old Cub' left baseball legacy in county. [Lake County Sun-Times]
5. To Cubs fans, Ron Santo was one of us. [Wisconsin State Journal]
6. "One for the Road": Ron Santo - in his own words. [Chicagoist]

No comments: