When Patrick Kennedy left the House of Representatives recently, it meant the first time a Kennedy would not hold national public office in over 60 years. With the passing of Sargent Shriver yesterday, we no longer have any living major figures from the Camelot Administration.
Many of you will know Shriver as a brother-in-law to the Kennedys or as Maria Shriver's dad. He was also credited with founding the Peace Corp and was the Democratic Nominee for Vice President in 1972.
Rest in Peace, Sargent Shriver.
1. Biography. [SargentShriver.org]
2. Sargent Shriver, Kennedy brother-in-law, Dies at 95. [Voice of America]
3. Sargent Shriver: A Man of Public Service. [NPR]
4. Sargent Shriver and the old belief. [Guardian - UK]
5. Sargent Shriver, 1915-2011: The Kennedy in-law who was the Real Deal. [Time]
6. Sargent Shriver’s lasting impact: An appreciation. [Vanity Fair]
7. Honor Sargent Shriver by increasing Peace Corps funding. [US News & World Report]
8. Funeral for Sargent Shriver set for Saturday. [Boston Herald from AP]
Learn More About Sargent Shriver By Picking Up A Copy Of:
Sarge: The Life and Times of Sargent Shriver