The DREAM (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors) Act — which has support of many Democrats, some Republicans and the White House — may get past over during the lame duck session of Congress because of other priorities. Opposition has also solidified, calling the legislation "amnesty".
The Act offers provides a pathway to permanent residency for illegal immigrants who were brought to the US when they were under the age of 16, provided they meet certain requirements. Ultimately, this may lead to citizenship.
Here's more about the DREAM act - including resources, opinions and local activities.
1. The DREAM Act portal. [Dream Act]
2. DREAM Act would cut deficit by $1.4 billion: CBO report. [The Raw Story]
3. DREAM Act should become law. [The Sacramento Bee]
4. Democrats push DREAM Act; Critics call it amnesty. [NPR]
5. Short goodnight expected for the DREAM Act during lame duck. [The Hill]
6. Newt Gingrich joins growing chorus for immigration reform, calls DREAM Act 'useful'. [Examiner]
7. DREAM backers visit Rep. David Dreier (R-CA) office. [Inland Valley Daily Bulletin]
8. Mayor wants meeting with (DREAM Act) hunger strikers. [San Antonio Express]