Wednesday, December 08, 2010

FOCUS ON...JOHN LENNON, PART 3

Here's the final installment of TBRs tribute to John Lennon.

On the night of December 8, 1980 I was still in my late teens. I was not feeling very well and went to bed extremely early. At around 11:00 PM, my mom came to my room to tell me that a news flash just came on to say that one of the Beatles was shot dead in New York. I immediately turned on WNEW-FM on my radio and the song that was playing seemed to confirm what had happened, yet I wasn't sure until another John Lennon song immediately followed it.

Needless to say, I was stunned and walked around in a fog for the next few days. On that day my childhood ended. Even today, I am stunned by the events and wonder what might have been. I spent today listening to his music and wonder what his new stuff would have sounded like.

To all of you who were affected similarly, I understand. There never will never be another Beatles, and there will never be another John Lennon.

Rest in Peace!

1. The Tea Maker (Op-Ed by Yoko). [The New York Times]
2. John Lennon: How he loved New York, and the city loved him. [New York Daily News]
3. John Lennon fans gather on 30th anniversary of death. [BBC News]
4. Beatle John Lennon slain; Shot down outside New York apartment (1980 Article). [Los Angeles Times]



5. I remember the real John Lennon, not the one airbrushed by history. [The Telegraph - UK]
6. Unguarded moments: John Lennon in the studio. [Arts Beat on The New York Times]
7. John Lennon and Yoko Ono in New York: The Last Years (Photos). [Rolling Stone]
8. John Lennon announced dead by Howard Cosell 1980. [YouTube]



9. Remembering John Lennon 30 Years Later (by Joe Scarborough). [The Huffington Post]
10. How John Lennon helped to bring down Communism (although he was still wrong about everything). [The Telegraph - UK]
11. Rolling Stone magazine publishes Lennon's last print interview. [Reuters]
12. Audio excerpts from the John Lennon Rolling Stone Interview. [Rolling Stone]


No comments: