The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 failed to pass last week as Republicans held up this important piece of legislation. Guess why? That's right - if they don't get tax breaks for the rich, then everyone (and everything) else be damned.
The act would provide health care to the 9/11 first responders. Can you think of a more despicable thing to do? The Grand Obstructionist Party strikes again. To those who voted for them a month ago I ask, "How's that Congressional change working out for you?" It seems that the GOP is going out of it's way to show how mean spirited it can be. My fear is that the next time we have an attack the emergency personnel will walk away because they see what's in store for them.
Here's more on the Zadroga Act:
1. H.R.847 - James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010. [OpenCongress.org]
2. GOP hates sick 9/11 workers, filibusters 9/11 Health Bill. [The Gothamist]
3. Lawmakers tangle on Zadroga bill. [International Business Times]
4. Irate 9/11 responder rages at GOP over defeat of Zadroga health bill: 'It's the ultimate betrayal'. [New York Daily News]
5. Giuliani makes hypocritical stand against 9/11 health vote. [The Gothamist]
6. Elisa Mizerany, Red Cross volunteer at Ground Zero, urges Tennessee senators to pass Zadroga. [New York Daily News]