Late Monday evening, former U.S. Senator from the State of Alaska, Ted Stevens, died in a plane crash in his home state. I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of Senator Stevens and remember that he left office in the midst of a scandal. However, from what I've read and heard today, the senator was a centrist who was not apposed to crossing the isle and striking a compromise to get a piece of legislation passed. We could sure use some of that these days, especially from the members of Stevens' Republican party. Rest in peace, Senator.
It is also worthy to note that among the other passengers was former NASA chief Sean O'Keefe. O'Keefe and his son survived the crash.
1. Former Alaska Senator Ted Stevens dies in plane crash. [Yahoo! News]
2. Ted Stevens biography. [The Associated Press]
3. Ted Stevens, 86; longtime GOP senator showered funds on Alaska. [The Washington Post]
4. Senator gave Alaska a powerful voice. [The Wall Street Journal]
5. Remembering Ted Stevens - A great man and a good man. [FOX News]
6. Senator Ted Stevens shaped Olympics. [ESPN]
7. Former US Olympics official pays tribute to Stevens. [Anchorage Daily News]
8. Ted Stevens, grandfather of net neutrality, dies as Internet debate reemerges. [Los Angeles Times]
9. Ted Stevens crash is nothing unusual in Alaska.
10. Ted Stevens Was 'Protective' of aviation in Alaska. [Newsweek]
11. General Colin Powell: Ted Stevens – brilliant legislator & patriot. [Alaska Public Radio Network]
12. Former NASA chief Sean O'Keefe survives Alaska plane crash. [The Washington Post]