George Steinbrenner, the legendary owner of the New York Yankees, died in Tampa yesterday. The stories below will tell you about what The Boss brought to a team that he bought for under 9 million in 1973 and is now worth a billion. They will also tell you about the Jekyll & Hyde personality.
What the stories won't tell you is how George Steinbrenner brightened the life of an eleven year old boy when he bought the team. I didn't know it at the time, but the New York Yankees that I had come to expect nothing from would, in a few short years, become World Champions. No more Horace Clark's at second base, no more Frank Tepedino's at first base, no more Ron Klimkowski's pitching. Thurman Munson was already our catcher, and he would soon be joined by the likes of Catfish Hunter, Chris Chambliss, Willie Randolph and Reggie Jackson. In the end, George Steinbrenner restored pride to the Yankees and to Yankee fans as well. No more would we play second fiddle to the Mets.
So, thank you George for that and for everyone you helped in your life. You were tough, but ultimately, I think you were fair. And, I'd like to think that I'm a lot like that and that you had a little something to do with that.
Rest in peace, Mr. Steinbrenner
1. George Steinbrenner, who built Yankees into powerhouse, dies at 80. [The New York Times]
2. Timeline of George Steinbrenner's life. [Los Angeles Times]
3. Remembering George Steinbrenner. [Los Angeles Times]
4. Fans gather at Yankee Stadium to pay respects to Steinbrenner. [New York Post]
5. 'He's more than just an owner to me, he's a friend,' says Derek Jeter. [New York Daily News]
6. Life & times of the most hated (and beloved!) man in all New York. [New York Post]
7. New York Yankees owner was larger than life. [New York Daily News]
8. Steinbrenner goes out as a champion. [New York Post]
9. George Steinbrenner photo gallery. [New York Post]
10. The Boss steals the headlines one last time. [New York Daily News]
11. Deal to buy Yankees was grand slam. [New York Post]
12. George Steinbrenner's triumphant second act with New York Yankees truly an unbelievable story. [New York Daily News]
13. U.S. Olympic athletes owe a debt to George Steinbrenner. [Los Angeles Times]
14. New York Yankees will honor George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard with commemorative jersey patches. [New York Daily News]
15. George Steinbrenner: We’ll always have the ‘Seinfeld’ reruns (Text & Video). [Orlando Sentinel]