Yesterday, Representative Joe Barton (Republican - Texas) apologized to BP for how President Obama "shook them down for $20 Billion". Later in the day he rescinded the apology under pressure from the Republican Party. I am not sure how or if you can take back something so stupid.
Here is part of the statement the party issue yesterday:
Congressman Barton's statements this morning were wrong. BP itself has acknowledged that responsibility for the economic damages lies with them and has offered an initial pledge of $20 billion dollars for that purpose.
In an email to the Congressman, I stated:
Congressman: Your apology to BP was disgusting! The spill was not an accident - it was due to negligent behavior. Anyone with half a brain knows that. In your comments you also stated something to the affect that if government was allowed to operate this way you didn't want to live in this country. I invite you to leave today.
If you would like to express your feelings to the Congressman, you can use the contact form on his website. Or you can call his Washington, DC office at (202) 225-2002.
Here is video of the apology as well as related content and some video background on Barton.
1. Senior House Republican apologizes to BP CEO. (The Huffington Post)
2. How Joe Barton managed to have a worse day than Tony Hayward. (Talking Points Memo)
3. Gibbs says Obama baffled by Barton's BP comments, Biden swipes too. (Talking Points Memo)
4. Barton retracts apology to BP. (Talking Points Memo)
5. 'Shakedown' remark causes uproar (Text & Video). (Politico)
6. That sound you hear is Joe Barton getting tossed under a bus. (Time)
7. Joe Barton's BP apology: Revealing what the GOP really thinks. (Politics Daily)
8. Joe Barton BP apology: The White House comes out swinging. (Politics Daily)
9. GOP rushes to clean up Joe Barton mess (Text & Video). (Politico)
10. Florida Republican Representative calls for Barton to resign committee post. (Talking Points Memo)
11. Pat Buchanan: Barton's apology to 'universally loathed' BP was 'very courageous' (Text & Video). (Talking Points Memo)
12. Joe Barton: A look back in video (Text & Video). (Talking Points Memo)